Which approach is better, a multi-effects unit or separate pedals? Turns out, it depends mostly on you.
Which are you using?
- Been stuck in multi land for years now
- Unit is old! Starting to think about replacing
- Complete customization
- Investment size
- Get boutique style in every component — as crazy as you want to be
- Order of effects? GO CRAZY
- Number of effects? GO CRAZY
- Matching levels
- Cables for connecting?
- Power considerations?
- You might get… PEDAL FEVER!!!
- Usually lots of variety in one unit for each effect type (5 compressors, 8 choruses, etc.)
- But limited to what the manufacturer ships
- No level matching worries, but…
- Probably limited number of effects
- Depending on how much you pay, may not be able to move order of effects
- Priority: Convenience